Fallout: Vault 67
The skill set for the Vault 67 campaign is slightly different than any of the Fallout games. Starting skills have a base equal to the total of three of your SPECIAL attributes. There are a total of 18 skills. When gaining a new level, PCs gain 5+INT+INT skill points. Skills advance similar to the first two Fallout games, where Tag skills double the skill points put into them. As with previous Fallout games, each character gains 3 Tag skills at character creation, and each Tag skill gains a +20% bonus to start. Skills over 100% cost double to increase, skills over 150% cost triple, and skills over 200% cost quadruple. The skills for my campaign are the following:
- Small Guns (PER+AGI+AGI) – Covers the use of pistols, shotguns, and rifles. Generally, if it uses gunpowder bullets and weighs less than a dozen pounds, use this skill.
- Big Guns (STR+END+AGI) – Covers the use of large weapons such as miniguns, flamethrowers, and rocket launchers. Generally, if it’s over a dozen pounds and doesn’t use electricity, use this skill.
- Energy Guns (PER+INT+AGI) – Covers the use of laser, plasma, and pulse weapons. Generally, if it uses Small Energy Cells or Micro Fusion Cells, use this skill.
- Unarmed (STR+STR+AGI) – Covers the use of fighting with your bare hands and feet, or weapons such as brass knuckles or the power fist.
- Melee (STR+END+AGI) – Covers the use of weapons such as knives, hammers, and chainsaws.
- Explosives (PER+AGI+LUC) – Setting and disarming any kind of trap, as well as the accuracy of thrown grenades. For a failed attack roll with Explosives, roll d12 for direction and d6 for distance to determine the landing place of the grenade.
- Pilot (PER+AGI+LUC) – Directing a moving vehicle to the place you want without landing it in a ditch or a tree. Shooting from a moving vehicle has a -20% penalty; shooting and driving has a -30% penalty to both skills.
- Sneak (AGI+AGI+LUC) – Moving without being heard or seen. A successfully hidden character automatically does a critical hit, but is also detected unless using a silenced weapon. Most armors apply a penalty to Sneak.
- Lockpick (PER+AGI+AGI) – Opening a secured container without damaging the contents inside. Critically failing a Lockpick roll with jam a lock so that it cannot be opened without the use of explosives.
- Steal (CHA+AGI+AGI) – Taking something that’s not yours from a container or a pocket. This can also be used to give items, such as live grenades, to someone else.
- Speech (CHA+CHA+INT) – Convincing someone else to do something in your best interest.
- Barter (PER+CHA+CHA) – Trading items you have for items you want without making your wallet beg for mercy.
- Medicine (PER+INT+INT) – Healing back Hit Points, crippled limbs, or removing radiation. First Aid Kits and Doctor Bags can give bonuses to this skill.
- Electronics (INT+INT+INT) – Upgrading or maintaining computers, energy weapons, and other electronic gadgets that survived the war.
- Chemistry (END+INT+INT) – Making dangerous chemicals like gunpowder, stimpacks, or poison antidotes.
- Mechanics (STR+INT+INT) – Upgrading or maintaining things with moving parts, such as firearms.
- Construction (STR+PER+PER) – Building or maintaining simple devices, such as armor.
- Outdoorsman (END+END+INT) – Navigation through the wasteland and avoiding trouble. Outdoorsman can be used to scrounge for junk items.